With a core team led by Dr. Maya Soetoro-Ng, nonprofit Our Public School’s mission is to build a database of innovative practices in education across the nation. To accomplish their goals:
Mission in action:
- Gathering data on successful practices in education to build a database of lessons and practices that can be duplicated or emulated in schools across our country. We’re doing this nation-wide, which began with a launch in May 2009 in Hawaii.
- Highlighting schools as well as other organizations to share what is working. Identifying a group of experts that can model and mentor for public school teachers nationwide.
- Producing media: documentaries, video commentaries and blogs to share models of successful schools and inspire activism worldwide.
- Facilitating virtual Town Hall meetings with educators to advocate for public schools.
- Serving as a central location for salón gatherings, webinars, and individual learning experiences for both traditional and non-traditional stakeholders in education.
- Designing tools and resources to help you take a proactive role in supporting public schools.
- Listening, talking, and learning from you to find out what your hopes are for our schools.
The OPS database will be available to the public and educators, providing a resource for improving local public education. Beyond that, this database aims to provide people with vocational information so that they may make a decision on which career to pursue, and how to do so. You can find this database here if you would like to give it a read or refer somebody to it.
Often times successful programs in one area can be beneficial in other regions, however without a clear channel of communication the message gets lost.
Fortunately, the OPS core team consists of leaders in the new media industry — photography, videography, and social networking — committed to bring the message to the people. Also a member of Team #afg2010, Mark Wolf of 1001 Stories, brings his new media knowledge and videography talents to OPS.
SUPER TEACHERS CAMPAIGN
At 7:00 p.m. Hawaii Standard Time, OPS will launch their Super Teachers Campaign where anyone can share a story on a teacher who made a difference in your life. The winner is voted on and if you win, you receive $100 to donate to the teacher of your choice. Below is a video with more information.
Join the livestream on the OPS Facebook fan page. If you care about Hawaii’s public education system, get involved!
Disclosure: I volunteer as the Social Media Director of this project.